Ninja Tours : Japan Motorcycle Touring

Motorcycle Tours of Japan with English Support
Ninja Tours : Japan Motorcycle Touring

Do I need to speak or read Japanese to rent a motorcycle?

NO! Absolutely not! We speak English here. The contracts and forms are all in English, too. Rest assured, we can understand everything you say (even the sarcasm), and you can understand everything we say, too!
That being said, if you really WANT to practice your Japanese skills with us, go ahead. We’re easy.

How do I book a Ninja Tours Vacation?

Simply contact us here! For guaranteed bookings, a 20% deposit payable by cash, credit card or telegraphic transfer is required. Sorry, personal checks are not accepted. The deposit is 100% refundable if the booking is cancelled within 14 days prior to the start of the rental period.

For customers who visit our office, we can accept payment by Visa, Mastercard, and JTB.

Cancellation Policy?

You may cancel your reservation and receive a 100% refund of any deposit made if you provide at least 2 weeks prior notice. Exceptions may arise due to season and policies may vary with some accommodation bookings. When differences arise, you will always be informed of the cancellation

Can we ride 2 up?

Sure! No extra charge for the motorcycle, and the insurance cover will apply. Just pay for accommodations and meals. Please be advised that helmets are required for both riders, the accompanying rider must be age 20 or above, and you MUST have at least 3 years of riding experience.

What motorcycles are available?

We have a great selection of motorcycles rarely, if ever, seen for rent in Japan or elsewhere, including Moto Guzzi, Benelli, Aprilia, Kawasaki and Yamaha bikes. Please see any of our tour packages for pricing and specifications!

Are there any daily mileage limitations?

There are no mileage charges nor mileage limitations. You are free to use the motorcycle to your heart’s (and bottom’s) content!

Is a damage deposit required?

If you have a Visa or MasterCard, there is no need to pay a damage deposit upfront, but during your rental period you are responsible for any and all damage to the bike or other equipment not to exceed a MAXIMUM of 200,000 Japanese yen, irrespective of the cause.

Where do I pick up the motorcycle?

The motorcycle is picked up and dropped off at our conveniently located Tokyo offices. In addition, you deal only with Rushcorp, our affiliated rental agency, for all motorcycle arrangements. There is no need to sign secondary contracts with outside agents.

What level of riding experience do I need?

All participants must have the ability to safely handle a motorcycle in traffic and exhibit confidence in riding under a variety of road, traffic and weather conditions.

Completion of a motorcycle safety course is a definite plus. All operators must have a valid license with motorcycle endorsement.

A rider’s total mileage is not important. However, experience is! Note that Japan riding takes place on the left side of the road and there are some very narrow windy roads on some tours.

What documents are required?

Riders must be in possession of a valid motorcycle operator's license. Visitors to Japan (less than 1 year stay) must have a vaild International driver’s permit with motorcycle endorsement. This document is available at your local motor club office. Please note, non-Japan residents CANNOT obtain an International Driver's License while in Japan.

Long-term Japan residents (one year or over) are required to have a valid Japanese motorcycle operator's license.

Citizens of countries other than the USA must check with their local authorities concerning any additional documents that may be necessary.
Riders with

What insurance do the motorcycles carry?

All of our motorcycles carry the legal limit liability required in Japan. This covers damage to others AND collision coverage for the motorcycle. In the case of motorcycle damage, the motorcycle operator is responsible for the deductible, which ranges from 200,000 yen and upwards, dependent on the type of motorcycle rented.

It should be noted that we do not require an advance cash motorcycle damage deposit. Instead, we will place a pre-authorization hold of 200,000 yen at time of rental on either a Visa or MasterCard. Should there be any damage to the bike while on tour you will be invoiced for the repairs.

Personal injury coverage is set at up to 30,000,000 yen each for the rider (and passenger, one incident only). Third party property damage and personal injury coverage is unlimited.

We also advise you to secure travel insurance coverage.

How much risk is involved?

Motorcycle riding is, by nature, an intense, risk-filled sport. It is very difficult to say how much risk is involved in our tours, as much depends on the ability of the participant. A road or set of conditions offering considerable challenge and risk for a novice rider often present an experienced rider with little risk.

Likewise with weather conditions — a rider accustomed to riding in the rain will possibly find it uncomfortable. A rider terrified of riding in the rain will possibly make poor decisions and put himself in a dangerous position.

Riding in Japan is certainly some of the most varied riding a motorcyclist will ever encounter. It will also certainly be the most rewarding from the standpoint of the scenery, the challenge, and the daily options available.

In Japan you drive on the left hand side of the road. This requires constant diligence. A rider who spends too much time thinking about the handling or operation of the motorcycle may find himself in trouble. The operation of the motorcycle must be second-nature, so that attention may be focused on safe riding.

What are the age limitations?

Operators must be at least 18 years old for bikes over 400cc. Operators as young as 16 years old are permitted for bikes up to 400cc.

Some restrictions apply. Please
contact us for details.

Where we are going?

All of our tours include interesting routes and courses, places to stay, things to see, and offer pre-planned routes!

Interested in booking only a motorcycle rental? Contact our affiliated land agents at

What weather conditions can we expect?

Japan has 4 distinct seasons, with temperatures ranging between tropical in summer to alpine in winter. We recommend that you carry wet weather gear, and during the summer season (from June to September) summer weight riding gear is sufficient the majority of the time.

In colder parts of the year outside of this time, we recommend that you be prepared for colder temperatures if you are traveling in alpine regions.
Feel free to contact us for specific advice pertaining to your exact route.

What clothing and riding gear shall I bring?

A list of suggested clothing and riding gear may be furnished after a rental application is received, pertinent to the seasons involved.

We do have some supplies of helmets, jackets, gloves, wet weather gear, etc. Please contact us for information.

A variety of good riding gear is recommended to be comfortable and safe. Riding in jeans and a T-shirt is not recommended, and proper protective equipment (including full-face helmets) are advised.

How much money should I bring?

Japan is primarily a cash-based culture. A lot of smaller establishments will not accept credit cards, so you must be prepared to pay for many items with cash. Economy type hotels are usually cash only, as are convenience stores. Many rural restaurants or eating/drinking establishments will not accept credit cards in any form.

We can say that it is possible to withdraw cash from most major credit cards at Post Office ATM machines in Japan. However, unlike bank ATMs, which operate 24 hours a day, post office ATM machines do not, and your credit card may have a daily limit for cash withdrawals. Please check prior to your trip, and HAVE A BACKUP PLAN involving cash!

Basically, for an average of 350 km of riding, you will use 2 tanks of petrol, which equals 2500-4000 yen/day. If highway tolls are applicable, allow for 2000-3000 yen/day on average. Accommodations (including breakfast and dinner and Japanese style onsen baths) can range anywhere from 10,000 yen/day onwards. depending on options chosen. Lunches and refreshment (and a few beers) may total about 5000 yen/day.

In regards to accommodations, more basic accommodations may range anywhere from 5000 upwards (including meals).

What happens to my luggage?

You have the ability to carry luggage on most of our bikes. However, not everyone will wish to take everything with them all the time, so we can arrange forwarding of your luggage to various destinations along your route. Alternatively, you are welcome to leave your luggage in our secured office.

Where do we eat lunch?

Anywhere! We can suggest restaurants on the route you are taking for the day. Restaurants are open from about noon to 2:30 for luncheon ... and generally, you can’t go wrong in choosing local dishes.

In rural areas, the range of restaurants will vary widely depending on your location. Most establishments are open throughout the day. Many will have pictures or plastic models of the food, so it is easy to understand what is being offered.

I require a special diet. What do I do?

While special diets can be exceptionally challenging in Japan, we will do our best to assist you in finding suitable restaurants and options.

I have a few questions that are not answered here. What shall I do?

Call, write, fax, or e-mail us. We will be happy to answer any and all questions for you. Remember that the only foolish question is the one you neglect to ask! Here is a page with contact information. We strive to answer any and all of your questions before you depart, so that the only surprises on tour are the pleasant ones we have planned for you!